How to Download a Plugin or Theme from the WordPress Admin Dashboard
Typically, if I need to download a plugin or theme that’s running on a remote server, I connect to that server via FTP or SSH and transfer the files to my local machine. However, sometimes I don’t have access to the server for one reason or another, but I DO have the username and password to the WordPress admin dashboard. Below, I’ll outline how I download a plugin or theme from the WordPress admin dashboard using a free plugin called Advanced Code Editor.
- Log in to the WordPress admin for the site where the plugin/theme you want is installed.
- Go to Plugins > Add New. Search for and install the Advanced Code Editor plugin.
- Go to Plugins > Installed Plugins and activate it.
- Go to Plugins > Editor if you want to download a plugin, or Appearance > Editor if you want to download a theme.
- Select the plugin/theme from the drop-down menu and click select
- Click the far-right button to download it.